After a Thanksgiving Break hiatus, it’s time to think Thesis again through this blog. I wasn’t posting during the break, but today is a new day.
Here is the presentation I gave today. My main goal with this round of “prototyping” was to focus in on the form and also to develop my concept.
We had formal critiques today and Ed Keller, came to be a guest crit. I thought his feedback was extremely helpful since he provided me with a lot of film references that follow the same themes of my thesis–something I never got before. (notes below copied from Katherine’s on-the-spot transcriptions)
- BOOK: dyosteyevsky, brothers karamazov, about complex family relations, kind
of twisted, but remarkable
- film references re: absent parent, zyvinskev, “the return” boys living
with mother and absent father shows up
- robert lepage, “the confessional” about a series of complex family
relationships, missing family members. many scenes take place in
family house, and is remembering scenes from his own life an family
- he filmmaking techniques, of
space, and how you use it can relate to your work. furniture design if
it is good has a lot of detail that communicates. relates story from
youth and the family table he still has in his home – has an
opportunity to look at details, thickness, temperature of material,
finish of material, etc.
- 1950s furniture design raymond lowry (?)
- robert smithson in the 1960s. happenings, dinner parties for all who
would come. can look at it as an interesting example, related example.
- sophie calle – folds personal life into work. the way she weaves
personal narrative into work – become autobiographical, but also
destabilizes the relationship to this work – how do you get close to
the work when she has objectively catalogues the experience.
- “all about my mother” – pedro almovodar – about lost
parents and lost children.
- what constitutes the interface – should
definitely see the films they are dealing with the exact interests you
- should not have just two sketch models – should have 50. can come up
with examples – design drawing, notebook, journal. – need to do more
iteration than just 3-4.